Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area.
For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Job Title: RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, Advanced Neonatal/Pediatric
Shift: Days (M-F 8a - 1p)
20 hours week
Job Code: 4250
Job Level: F1 (August 2019)
Revised Date: 03/06/2018
Supervisory Responsibility: No
~ Printer-Friendly Version ~
Duke Hospital is looking for Respiratory Care Practitioners to join our team. Duke employees are part of a premier organization dedicated to excellence in education, research, and patient care. This is a Full time position. Duke Hospital is located in Durham, NC, centrally located between the beaches and mountains.
Over 100 free CEU's offered onsite each year including ventilation and airway management, pulmonary disease management, patient/family education and high-frequency ventilation symposium.
ECMO training and certification program offered annually for selected candidates.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed working strictly with adult populations or working only with neonatal, pediatric populations, but not with both.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Perform all duties and responsibilities required of a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Evaluate appropriateness of medical orders.
- Proficient in the application of mechanical ventilator modalities.
- Proficient in the application of Non-Invasive Positive Pressure Ventilation (NPPV); Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP)
- Perform endotracheal intubation under the observation of a Clinical Team Lead.
- Perform extubations.
- Serve as member of the code/emergency team. Administer medical gases. Insert nasogastric and orogastric tubes.
- Perform tracheotomy tube changes.
- Perform capnography monitoring. Transport patients requiring mechanical ventilation or airway protection.
- Interpret clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives.
- Participate in clinical rounds with physicians, nurses and other health care providers
- Assist with Bronchoscopy.
- Assist with orientation and training of Resp. Care Practitioner.
- Assure safe operations of devices in the MRI.
- Qualified for certification in the hyperbaric chamber if applicable to the institution scope of practice
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent) and North Carolina State Licensure and Registry (RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Must maintain annual skill maintenance requirements
- Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEUs
Level I Trauma - ICU experience strongly preferred
Two years of clinical experience following graduation from a respiratory care program
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
North Carolina State Licensure and Registry (RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric RCP's need your NRP, PALS and ACLS within 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interaction relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certification of competencies for the duties and responsibilities required for a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30 pounds.
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately 20 pounds.
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending. Customer service and communication expertise
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Code: 4250
Job Title: RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, Advanced
Job Level: F1
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department .