Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott Reliability Engineer
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®,PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our plant location in Columbus, OH currently has an opportunity for a Reliability Engineer. This site is Abbott's oldest nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. Working here, you'll feel part of a family - a family of 400 that works together to help nourish the world.
What you will do as a Reliability Engineer:
An engineering professional who applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete assignments related to maintenance excellence and reliability. This position is involved in the overall lifecycle of capital assets (designing, delivering, operating, maintaining, and decommissioning) in the most productive and cost effective manner. Manage the preventive and predictive maintenance programs, coordinate plant shutdown assignments, provide capital project input and support while maintaining a zero incident safety mindset, teamwork attitude and excellent customer service.
- Independently gathers maintenance and manufacturing performance data (Maximo, Zarpac, etc.), and performs preliminary analysis
- Predicts patterns/trends
- Provide a centralized, strategic look across equipment performance (downtime), material/component failure analysis, and changeovers
- Grasps complexities and sees relationships among data, determines consequences and alternatives; makes recommendations, analyzes problems from multiple perspectives. Improves maintenance processes.
- Recognizes and implements process improvements and cost reductions; creatively applies others' ideas
- Facilitates root cause analysis for equipment downtime
- Develops and executes reliability studies and evaluations of equipment robustness
- Has awareness of the potential consequences of changes to established processes
- Identifies areas of risk with respect to compliance
- Develops procedures and standards
- Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources
- Provides training
- Supervising the resources for Preventive/Predictive Maintenance
- Customer interface (in support of uptime and meeting production plan) and/or daily performance review meetings
- Plan, implement, and perform effectiveness checks for corrective actions on exception reports
Education and Experience You'll Bring:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, science or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 2 or more years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. OR Mechanical degree or related experience is preferred.
- Additional post-graduate education may contribute towards the desired years of experience
- The skill set of this position requires a balance of industrial and mechanical engineering principles, data analysis, process improvement techniques, and problem-solving
- Possesses a working technical knowledge of maintenance programs
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate actions
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations
- Works well with others in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences
- Previous experience as a mechanic, electrician or instrument tech beneficial
- Extensive experience in leading/managing projects or process improvement initiatives; Previous Lean Six Sigma training beneficial
- Familiarity with reliability centered maintenance'
- Extensive experience in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues
- Mentorship, training, team lead/project management or related experience
- Experience with creating technical training content
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.